This recipe evolved after some experimenting in the kitchen. I love a good bean burger, but want the flavour to be robust as beans can be a little bland. For Renew Reset Recharge® this meal counts as your carbohyrate and protein all in one, so no extra carbs allowed at this meal, but you can have a big bowl of salad. If you are not following Renew Reset Recharge® feel free to add a bit more olive oil and enjoy with pita bread, a large salad and hummus or even sweet potato.
Onions are a fantastic prebiotic or food for the healthy gut bacteria. These quick-pickled red onion turn a vibrant pink colour and are the perfect side for both taste and the health of your microbiome.
Ingredients-Serves 3, Note 1 Portion = 3 Burgers
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. coriander
½ tsp. dried chilli flakes
½ tsp. Himalayan salt
1 cup Kale, finely chopped
75g chickpea flour
150g carrot, grated
150g courgette, grated
20 ml olive oil for frying
- Gently sauté the onions and garlic in a tsp. of olive oil with a tbsp. water until glassy. If you are not following weight-loss on Renew Reset Recharge® you are welcome to use more oil.
- Stir in the spices and kale and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the flavours to develop and the kale to wilt.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the grated courgette and carrot to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Stir in the carrot and the courgette and pop into the fridge for around half an hour to stiffen up a little, if you have the time. Otherwise it is not a disaster! It will just be softer to work with.
- Roll the mixture into 9 balls and flatten slightly to form a burger shape.
- These burgers can be baked or fried. For baking, pop onto baking paper or an greased ceramic tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C. Baking will result in a slightly drier burger.
- Alternatively, gently fry at a medium heat in a frying pan with the olive oil. Ensure the oil does not reach its smoke point. Turn after 3 minutes on each side and cook until golden.
- Serve with a large salad for Renew Reset Recharge® or with some pita bread, Harissa hummus (see recipe), black rice or quinoa.
- Simply mix the red onion with the vinegar for the pickle and watch it turn pink before your eyes!