This is one of my favourite winter salads. The turmeric dressing adds warmth to the salad and makes it feel even more satisfying.
Ingredients, serves 4
1 butternut squash (choose one with a long bulb if possible)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Few sprigs thyme
1 large bag rocket
140g feta cheese
2 x tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 teaspoons of harissa spice (or 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon chilli flakes)
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
30g sun-dried tomatoes, drained of oil, chopped
Optional: fresh pomegranate to decorate
30ml olive oil
30ml apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Turn the oven to 200°C.
- Peel one butternut squash and slice into thick wedges, removing all the seeds as you go.
- Arrange butternut pieces on a roasting tray with one tablespoon olive oil and some fresh thyme. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While cooking, drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to a frying pan with the remaining olive oil and the harissa seasoning or spices. Stir on a med-high heat for around five minutes. Set to one side.
- Remove the roasted butternut from the oven, it should have started to brown at the edges.
Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the chickpeas and stir through a little using a spoon and transfer to four plates or bowls.
- Stir through the rocket and the sundried tomatoes and sprinkle over the feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jam-jar, shake vigorously and drizzle over each plate.