Curried Red lentil, Apple and Sweet potato soup
Gorgeous delicious red lentil and curry soup. This soup is a bit more than just a soup as it contains some carbs in the form of the sweet potato (so no extra bread allowed if you are trying to lose a few pounds). You may switch the sweet potato for extra butternut squash. Each portion contains around 30g dried red lentils (equivalent to 60g cooked lentils). This means that with this recipe you would add around half of another protein portion to top it up. I like mixing cream cheese with grated radish and cress and putting it into salad boats!
Ingredients, serves 4
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
15ml/ 1 tbsp. olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (or extra butternut)
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
200g butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 tsp. Turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
125g red lentils
850ml vegetable Stock
1 tbsp. tomato purée
- Fry the onions and garlic gently in the olive oil for around 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the other vegetables and stir for 2 minutes before adding in the spices.
- Cook the spices through for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock, tomato purée, salt and pepper as well as the chopped apple.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes until cooked through. Stir occasionally6. If desired, part-blend the soup to make it smoother.