This meal is a real one pot – no rice required. It is like a hearty warming soup and a curry all in one. Packed with protein from the chickpeas and quinoa it will keep you full up between meals.
Ingredients, serves 6
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 3 teaspoons turmeric
• 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 150g quinoa
• 1 tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 tin cherry tomatoes
• 1 tin coconut milk
• 2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
• 150g kale or spinach
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan, wok or deep frying pan
2. Add the onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until clear and glassy
3. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the spices and stir through for 2 minutes.
5. Add the butternut squash, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, tinned coconut milk, chickpeas, quinoa, vegetable stock as well as 300ml hot water.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the quinoa cooked through.
7. Before serving, stir through 150g kale or spinach.