Huevos Rancheros with Guacamole
Ingredients, serves 2
1 small bag spinach
large handful of chopped coriander
1 red onion, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil, ghee or coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
1 teaspoon paprika
1⁄2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 tin of good quality tomatoes*
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 small ripe avocado
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
salt and pepper
- Start by making the tomato sauce. Fry the onion gently in the olive oil, ghee or coconut oil over a medium heat. Add a splash of water to prevent burning. Cook until clear and glossy, around five minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, sliced peppers, chilli and paprika, cooking for a further two minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and water. Season generously with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for another ten minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce is rich and thick.
- To make the guacamole, mash the avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper with a fork or puree in a mini- blender and set to one side.
- Stir the spinach into the tomato sauce and check that it is seasoned correctly.
- Make four small wells in the tomato sauce using the back of a spoon or ladle. Carefully crack an egg into each of the wells. Fit a lid to the frying pan to create some steam and gently cook for around four minutes until the whites are just set and the yolks are still soft.
- Sprinkle over the coriander and four spoonfuls of the guacamole.
- Serve immediately.
*I like to use the best quality tinned tomatoes I can find as they have a sweeter flavour and less acidic. I think tinned cherry tomatoes have the best flavour.