Ingredients, serves 3-4
30ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 white onion or 3 shallots, finely diced
1 head of broccoli (around 300g) cut into florets
150g frozen peas
700ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 bag of washed, organic baby spinach
1 handful of basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently sauté the onions in the olive oil for two minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes or until onions are soft and tender.
- Add the stock and broccoli and bring to the boil and simmer for around five minutes until the broccoli is just tender. Do not overcook or the soup will turn from vibrant to dark green!
- Add the peas and cook for a further minute to allow them to just defrost.
- Add the spinach and basil. As soon as it starts to wilt take the pan off the heat.
- Blend using a stick blender or transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with some extra basil or a dash of vegan pesto.
Rocket and Basil Pesto ⠀
You will need a food processor or blender for this recipe ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Ingredients– makes 1⠀jar
80g Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, peeled
50g walnut halves
60g rocket and 40g fresh basil leaves
150ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
½ teaspoons Himalayan salt
- Grate the Parmesan cheese finely, or add the roughly chopped Parmesan cheese to a food processor/ bullet and process on high speed for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese (if it is not already in the food processor) as well as the garlic, rocket, basil, walnuts, olive oil and salt.
- Process on a medium- high speed (around speed 4-6) for 1 minute.
- Stir and use a spatula to push the mixture down again, then process again to combine.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge. Cover with a layer of olive oil to prevent discolouration.