This is comfort in a bowl and can be eaten on its own or with cauliflower rice during Renew Reset Recharge®. I like to use organic spinach as spinach can have higher levels of pesticides and is often seen on the dirty dozen list. This recipe has coconut milk in it, so avoid extra rice if weight loss is your goal, otherwise choose a little black, red or wholegrain rice as a side.
Ingredients – Serves 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, finely diced
3 fat garlic cloves, crushed
1 thumb sized piece ginger, finely grated
2 teaspoons turmeric
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
500g dried red lentils
300ml hot vegetable stock
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 tin cherry tomatoes
1 tin full-fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 bag organic spinach
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and gently fry the onions for 4 minutes on a medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir through over the heat for a further minute.
- Add the chopped diced butternut squash, the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk, red lentils, hot stock and salt.
- Simmer gently with a lid on for 25 minutes, stirring during cooking to avoid sticking. Add more water if the lentils look too dry.
- Stir through the spinach and coriander until wilted
Serve simply with cauliflower rice for Renew Reset Recharge® weight loss. Otherwise, feel free to add cashew nuts, avocado and yogurt.