I haven’t seen a recipe for gluten-free treacle tart, so I decided to make my own! I mean, how hard can it be?
Normally all my recipes are uber-healthy, so I have deviated about as far as I can from my ‘normal’ here and just jumped in and made this naughty recipe that is really just for treats or when you need a comfort-food cuddle.
350g ground almonds
2 medium eggs
400g golden syrup
2 medium eggs
150g gluten-free white breadcrumbs
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of orange (unwaxed)
- Turn the oven to 180°C Fan.
- First, make the pastry. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until it forms a soft dough. Grease a 22cm flan dish with olive oil or butter. Line the base with a circle of baking paper.
- Pop the dough into the base of the baking tray and simply press it with the back of a dessert spoon until it covers the base and the sides of the dish. Prick the base with a fork. Add another layer of baking paper and top with some dried beans (I use dried chickpeas) and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes to rest or 10 minutes in a freezer!
- Bake blind in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooking beans and the baking paper and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- To make the filling. Cut the crusts off the gluten-free white bread, tear the slices into pieces, and pop into a food processor. Process for a few seconds to make fine breadcrumbs. Next, mix the breadcrumbs with all of the other filling ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry base and turn the oven down to 150°C
- Bake for 45 minutes or until just set.