Vegan Chilli with Cauliflower Rice
Ingredients, serves 4
2 onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon chilli powder
3 medium carrots, diced
2 red peppers, diced
2 tins red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
100g red lentils
1 tin cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
400ml vegetable stock
1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, sauté the onions and garlic gently in the olive oil for around five minutes until softened.
- Add the other vegetables, stir and cook for a further two minutes.
- Next add the spices and cook through for a further two minutes to help them release their flavours.
- Add the kidney beans, red lentils, stock and tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and simmer gently for 30 minutes until cooked through. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking. If the lentils are very thirsty, add some extra water to avoid them drying out.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a food processor and either use a large grating blade or simply pulse for around four to five seconds until the cauliflower resembles rice in
consistency. You can also grate the cauliflower if you do not have a processor.
- Pour the cauliflower rice into a large baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180° C until it is cooked through, but al dente.